Thursday, January 29, 2009

Thing 13 - Online Productivity

Again, turns out I've been using aspects of this Thing all along. I use iGoogle and Yahoo! mail all the time. Yahoo! mail includes a calendar and a note making portion. I use the calendar daily both for work and for my personal life. All appointments, meetings, birthdays, anniversaries are on my Yahoo! calendar and Yahoo! reminds me as often as I choose of my obligations.

I have used iGoogle for 6 or more months and find it useful only for news. Even at that, I prefer my rss feed for news. I don't like most aspects of Google's calendar but it does have a nice feature where you can add widgets for things you're interested in (I tried out notifications for movies).

I looked at other online productivity tools - tinyurl, backpack, Google docs & spreadsheets - but none appeal. I really dislike trying to recreate a search from tinyurl. Recreated searches is sometimes necessary. Others must find it difficult too, because I've noticed fewer and fewer websites that have been "tinied." Backpack looked really nice but it's too expensive. I've tried using Google docs & spreadsheets. Give me Microsoft Office products any day! Google spreadsheets is horrible! And Google docs didn't do what I needed it to do (see Thing 9).

No comments:

Ning Logo

Ning Logo