Saturday, January 31, 2009

Thing 16 - Gaming in Libraries

I've been aware of gaming in libraries since attending a seminar several years ago. As gaming has become more popular I find myself explaining to adults that it is beneficial to children to play games on the internet even though the adult may want to do "serious" research.

I did not play Puzzle Pirates but in the past, I have logged into Second Life and looked at it. I also play video games myself. I've played a simple car chase kind of game, which was fun; and I have played a game, which I don't remember the name of, where I was an amusement park owner and trying to make a going concern of my amusement park. I was never successful and never made it past level 1. I've played Wii and Nintendo DS Brain Age, both of which are useful for engaging older adults.

My personal opinion is that RCL should have more gaming opportunities available for all ages. Since my interest is quite often with older adults, I think we should make both Wii and Nintendo DS with Brain Age and Brain Age II, at the very least, available.

No comments:

Ning Logo

Ning Logo