Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Thing 27 - MORE Twitter (OMG!)

I do not like Twitter. Several staff members tried it out several years ago before we got IM and found it not to be useful. It doesn't look like it's changed all that much - a few added tools but essentially the same thing. Twitter seems to be for people who want to connect with others and don't mind the added fees on their cell phone bills. I think that since I am unwilling to pay the extra fees, I am not seeing the many possibilities of Twitter.

While I (once again!) signed up for a Twitter account, I have no intention of checking it although should anyone be curious, my account is lmcderm2000@yahoo.com.

I'm not sure that microblogging is a good thing. It's happening, sure. But people's attention spans are too short already and they don't need additional encouragement to shorten them further.

The plus side of Twitter for the library would be having an additional web presence. Another use could be sending out a Tweet to announce a program starting within an hour, for example, a kind of online billboard.

No comments:

Ning Logo

Ning Logo